So refreshing names aren’t needed
A few weeks ago I was walking down the beach, headphones in, just enjoying another beautiful day along the south Florida coast. I had been walking a while so I decided it was about time for a refreshing cocktail. Along A1A next to Bubba Gump Shrimp Company is a cool little bar called Deno’s Bar and Bistro. So I stopped in and the bartender convinced me to try out her custom drink; of which she had yet to name.
Now I am a rum guy, no surprise there, but this drink has NO RUM!!!!. Even worse it has GIN! Now something you should know about me; I HATE GIN! In fact I tell most people that gin makes my soul cry. But, a pretty face and a convincing argument goes a long way. The drink was on the house and I was all in!
After having this drink I was taken aback by how good it was. Very refreshing, light, and perfect for a hot day combing the beach. I am not sure I would want more than one or two of these as…well come on….it is gin; but this is a suggested cocktail. But, as I do with many custom drinks bartenders make me, I have modified it and made it more suited for a rummy. But all that took was the substitution of gin for rum. In this case the Don Q Cristal as it has a very light taste.
So here are the steps:
- Fill a highball glass with ice and set aside
- Place two slices of cucumber, a wedge of lemon, 2 large pineapple wedges and 2 oz of gin (or some rum if you prefer) into a separate glass.
- Muddle the fruits very well and make sure you get all the juices out.
- Into your highball glass, strain out only the liquid (hence why you want to get all the juice out in step 3).
- Top off with club soda.
- Stir every so slightly and enjoy!
I suggest trying both the gin and the rum method as both are great!
But, can you think of a name for this great cocktail?
Check out all of our Salty Swag:
You can also follow our salty adventures here!!